This masonry and timber building was probably constructed about 1902 for Honnor and Clark, coachbuilders. Honnor and Clark had several shops constructed on the eastern portion of Town Section 911 during 1901-02, and the brick party walls, required to comply with new council building regulations to prevent the spread of fire, may indicate a post early-1902 construction date.
It seems probable that the building was designed by noted New Plymouth architect Frank Messenger, who designed the neighbouring Bacon's Building for Honnor and Clark about the same time. Several permits were also granted during 1902 for 'alterations' to shops on this section for Honnor & Clarke, with the architect noted as Frank Messenger - given that one of these permits mentions brick party walls, it's possible they may relate to the present building.
The building was first leased by tailor George Stewart, who first appears in this location in the 1903 edition of Stones Street Directory. Stewart remained the occupant until 1912, when his business was taken over by Keig and Manners.
The facade was originally clad in either rusticated or ship-lap weatherboard, with two curved, single-pane double hung sash windows - currently the facade is clad in fibrolite and has lost most of its detailing and sash windows.
Town Section 911, Taranaki Land Deeds Index I3 page 586 and I3 page 408.
Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki.
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.